Friday, October 9, 2009

Elbow Room.

Being here in Peru for over two years, I'd like to think that I'm comfortable in the culture here. A lot of times I feel more Peruvian than I do like a U.S. American. However once in awhile, something will catch me off guard here and the cultural differences stand out a little.

For example. I'm sitting in Starbucks waiting to go to a compArte website meeting in just a little while. I was happy to find that the leather couch was unoccupied, which was great because I also needed to plug in the ol' laptop and the couch is home to one of the not so many seats that come with an outlet. As I was/am enjoying my hot chocolate, a group of business people came in, and with there not being a wide array of seating left right now, they decided to occupy the other 3 seats on this 4 person couch and the chairs surrounding. I'm currently in the middle of their business meeting. It's going well...sales are up.

Sorry, Edward Hall, A U.S. standard of personal space is a frivolous thing to try and treasure here. Good thing I quit that awhile back.

No comments: