Monday, November 23, 2009

The Postre Lady

I'm not quite sure when this started. I'm not quite sure when it developed.

But somehow, here in Trujillo, a love for cooking, desserts and baking of all sorts has blossomed within me...and I think I'm starting to get the reputation of being the girl who makes all the desserts.

I'm pretty sure that the love has always been there thanks to the many great ladies in my family. My Grandma, My Mom, My Aunts. They're all great cooks and bakers. So much so, that I remember a certain joke about my mom and my Aunt Connie being WWI and WWII...(World's Wonder I and World's Wonder II)...I believe Aunt Stephanie at the time was a WW-IT (World's Wonder in Training).

If one day, I can cook/bake half as well as the women in my family...well then I am halfway to being an awesome kitchen connoisseur.

I love cooking. I love to create things in the kitchen, and I believe that cooking reflects the personality of the cooker. The manner in which a person (or in this case, me) pulls things together in the kitchen, shows something about how said person (once again, me) carries on in life. For me, I am a fairly reckless cook/baker. I always am looking for fun new things to try, throwing in crazy ingredients, and I rarely every follow the recipe exactly. I don't stop until things taste good to me, even if it means alot of trial and error, and ending up with something I didn't plan on doing in the first place. I cook based on what I have, how I feel, and everything depends on the moment.

Even more than I love cooking, I love sharing whatever it is I've cooked with friends and family...or heck, even with complete strangers. For me, food is a unifier. Everybody eats, so why not use that as common ground? What's better than sharing a good meal with someone you love...or like...or might like in the future if you just get to know them a little?

So...just in case you might like a recipe to share with your friends, or families, or somebody who might be your friend in the future if you just get to know them a little, here is my latest recipe creation.


Cheesecake Swirl Mocha Brownies

Brownie base:
2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate coarsely chopped
1/2 cup butter
1 cup + 2 tablespoons white sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup hot water
2 Tablespoons instant coffee granules
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking powder

Cheesecake swirl:
8 oz cream cheese
1 egg
1/2 tep vanilla
1/4 cup flour
5 Tablespoons sugar

For the Mocha Brownie Base:
In a saucepan over low heat, melt the 2/3 cup chocolate, 1/2 cup butter and pour into bowl. Beat and add 1 cup + 2 TBSP white sugar, and add 2 eggs one at a time. Beat well after each egg is added. Combine hot water and instant coffee in a cup or bowl--stir until dissolved and add to chocolate mixture. Add cocoa, baking powder, vanilla and flour and beat well.

Pour batter into a greased 9 x 13 x 2 baking pan.

For the Cheesecake Swirl:
In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, vanilla, remaining 1 egg, sugar, and flour until well-combined. Drop by tablespoons evenly on top of mocha brownie layer. Use a butter knife to swirl the cheesecake mix into the brownie layer.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes (ok...maybe more if you live in Peru and you bake with gas, and then the gas runs out halfway through and you have to then call to order more gas) or until toothpick inserted on side comes out clean. For the love of all baked goods, do not overbake, lest you want to break your tooth on a chocolate rock. Remove from oven and let cool completely....if you can wait that long.

Don't forget to share!

Happy Baking!

No comments: