Wednesday, October 24, 2007

What is a Vampire's Favorite Holiday? ..... Fangsgiving!

It's final exam season here at SALI as the month of October is quickly coming to an end. In fact my students are currently taking their last Basic 8 exam before they (hopefully) pass on to Basic 9. I'm so proud of them!

I'm sitting here trying to rack my brain for any sort of an important update about Peru and life in it, and I'm coming up with nothing. I'm definitely looking forward to this extended weekend as tonight concludes October classes, and the next cycle begins on Monday. I plan on spending this weekend accomplishing precisely two goals: Cleaning and making pumpkin pies. That's right. Pumpkin Pies.

Up until recently pumpkins were merely fabled gourds in the land of Trujillo. I was disappointed when I found out that I would not be able to eat pumpkin pie this year. Especially since everyone who's anyone knows my mom makes the world's best pumpkin pie and I had been granted the recipe. I didnt know what I was going to do; but then...the miracle that is Plaza Vea occured. The Vea (aka Plaza Vegas, aka Valhalla) is essentially a Peruvian Target or Walmart. It is the only one of it's kind in Trujillo. Before, all your shopping would be spread out over various markets in town or specialty shops, but now with Plaza Vea, anything you could want can be found in one spot, and don't forget at Plaza- Todo cuesta Menos! "Everything costs less!

In any case, I bought a pumpkin from P-Vegas and now Thanksgiving will contain one more very good reason to give thanks.