Saturday, January 5, 2008

Back to the Future...I mean Peru.

I made it! After a 2 day trek that took me from Denver to Atlanta, Atlanta to Lima, and finally Lima to Trujillo using Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. Assuming you count the airport subways as "trains". Either way, I am typing this new blog from my old desk at SALI.

While I was in the Atlanta airport, I wrote in my journal some thoughts about returning to Peru. Care to take a glimpse? Of course you do, it's access to somebody's private thoughts!

It's so very different going to Peru this time. I don't feel like a small child anymore and though I don't know if I'd consider myself a Pro yet about living in Peru, I won't return with eyes opened so wide and overwhelmed by new sights. My ears won't be trying to listen to every last taxi horn, my nose won't be trying to convert every single smell into a permanent memory....or try desperately to block out the bad ones. I will be returning. What a great thing to be able to "return." To go back to something familiar and to be able to walk past a sight and relax because I already know it. The past 6 months have been work. Sometimes hard and not fun work, some work has been a little easier, but to be able to "return" and feel like I have already done the hard work of completely adjusting to something new is a treat. My own personal reward.

So There you have it. I'm excited to be back. Refreshed from the break and very renewed from spending time with my family. I missed them alot, and though I will continue to miss them, it was good to spend time with them . God has blessed me incredibly with the people he's placed in my life. Especially my family, but not just them. With my friends, my friends' families, with my coworkers, my pastors, professors, and a lot more too. I'm very thankful for the people in my life. The way I see it- with such great people, wherever I am, I will always miss somebody. It's one of those facts of life, but I'm thankful that I have a good reason to miss them.

No comments: