Sunday, February 24, 2008

Faster than a speeding bullet...

Hello old friend. It's been a long time, hasn't it?

Do you ever feel that some weeks, though still consisting of the alloted 7 days of 24 hours each, have so much crammed into them, that by the time you are finished with that 7 day period, you have somehow time warped and actually completed 2 or even 3 weeks of your life? It's kind of like if you were Superman and running so fast around the earth, that time can't even keep up with you, and somehow you lap yourself in the process.

This past week was insanely busy, but also insanely blessed. Peru Mission had a team of about 20 from Independent Presbyterian Church in Memphis, TN, with us this past week to put on an intense medical campaign in the neighborhoods around Wichanzao Presbyterian Church. They did general medical consults (family, internal, gynocological, OB) out in the neighborhoods, as well as minor surgery, and dentistry. The team was wonderful, and the medical campaign was a success, and it was such after much hard work from the team members.

Um....so why are you tired, Gillian? You teach English, you don't do medical stuff.

True story, but this week they needed some help translating, so my roommate Heather Campbell, our friend/coworker Sam Love, and I woke up early everyday to be out at Wichanzao by about 7:45 and then to translate until 1:30 or so, when we'd eat a heavenly lunch, cooked by one of my favorite Peruvian moms, Hermana Lydia. Afterwards, we'd run home, shower and gear up for a full day of teaching until about 8:45pm. Like I said, it was busy. However it was a very blessed opportunity to get to know some more of the communities and people out at Wichanzao, to spend some time with brothers and sisters in Christ (Peruvian and U.S. American), and to continue to practice my Spanish. I never had worked as a translator before, and though I don't think I'm ready to print any business cards any time soon, it was nice to realize that my Spanish (albeit slowly) has improved over the past 8 months.

The first day I translated for the dentists. I don't recommend it. They pull alot of teeth and they make you hold the bucket where they put the extracted (read: bloody) tooth. Gross. I haven't ever had a tooth pulled, but I saw enough teeth being pulled to make me want to brush my teeth at least 3 times a day now. Have you seen the tools they use?! I'm just saying....don't forget to floss.

The rest of the week I ended up translating for the general medicine side, I sat with nurse Becky in Triage as she gathered the patient's history. Like I said, it was a great time to meet some of the Wichanzao folks, and it was very good for our medical clinic to make ourselves known in some communities where we weren't previously. Please continue to pray for the people out in Wichanzao, and the work that is going on there as well as throughout Peru. And if you're a dentist and need someone to speak Spanish and hold a spit cup...well...ask someone else first, and if nobody else can do it, I'm your girl.
Me telling a small Peruvian child to brush more, unless he wants to look like the guy behind me who is getting 5 teeth pulled (no joke).

**To read my coworker Sam Love's thoughts on this week, click to see his blog HERE**

**To see pictures from the medical campaign in Wichanzao this week, click HERE**

2 comments:

Cornucopia of Love said...

Hey, um, weird previous comment...anyways, guess who just marched out to her mailbox in the middle of the night in heels with a screwdriver in hand to rip apart a wrapped package TOO large for her box, yet somehow mysteriously jammed into her small mail space?
THIS GIRL!
Why should you care? Oh, you will see.

lesterspiano said...

diana is so strange. i'm alive. school is tough. i'm reading about 400 to 500 pgs a week between all my classes and yes i quit facebook. i figured it was time to give this face a rest. i'm glad you are alive and i don't think you should toss jason's advice out too fast. sounds like a deal. peace