Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Get out your schoolbooks, kids. There's a new teacher in town.

Ok, Just kidding. But it's official. I'm an ESL teacher in a foreign country.
Yesterday marked the first day of August classes at the San Augustin Language Institute, affectionately referred to SALI by all who pass through its hallowed halls. Here at SALI, we encourage students through small class sizes, opening and closing class with prayer, great teacher/student relationships, and by kicking bad grammar in the face.

Classes, as stated before, began yesterday and more specifically, Basic 8 with your friendly neighborhood Denverite began yesterday. The Lesson: Teach students how to describe people and objects around them. I knew what I had to do, I had no other choice; so I did it. I broke out Guess Who. Yeah that's right, the original mystery face guessing game from Milton Bradley. Alright, maybe it was just a rip off of it, but hey, it got the point across. Students had to use their deductive skills and their newly learned format for describing to guess which object, person, or animal teacher was thinking of ("teacher" being me, for I am now a teacher).
I'd like to think that I might have made a little difference in the world of English yesterday. I suppose we'll find out today when I review with my students, who by the way, are pictured below. All in all, it was good day yesterday, and now I must return to my teacher-ish work, and find a good topic for my 5:45 conversation class.

Chao!

Mis Estudiantes, Junior, Cynthia, Flores, Milagros, y Renzo. Chevere, di?

Let's practice some spanish by the way:
Chao- Peruvian farewell, you do not say Adios.
Mis Estudiantes- My students
Chevere, di?- A sort of slang phrase which means something along the lines of cool, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love it! (and you!)