Friday, August 24, 2007

Hoy es Viernes....

Today is Friday and I am tired.

The week hasn't been busy beyond the normal, but the normal is busy in and of itself, and I think the last three weeks of normal have united their powers to bring down the great Energy machine. It's very captain planet-esque. En este caso, however, it is more like Captain Busy / He's our hero / Gonna take your energy / Down to Zero.

Well. Anyway....

It's Friday and I'm definitely am enjoying the perks of teacherdom, such as happily posting a new blog instead of taking a quiz, like my students are right now. Suckers! Just kidding. My class is great, I really love my students! Last night, after my 8:45 class let out, two of my students, Milagros and Guiliana stayed after class for a little and we got to talking about many different things. It was a very encouraging conversation, I shared a little bit about why I was down here and why I was teaching at SALI. They asked questions about my family, my life, and shared many stories about their lives and snippets about Peru. They promised to take me out and show me their city, and share their culture. It was very nice! They also promised to take me out to eat anticuchos (that would be cow hearts for those in the dark). I think I've actually had them before, but I'm up for trying anything once. They asked if it was hard to leave my friends and family behind. At the end of the conversation, Guiliana and Milagros told me "Somos tu amigas en Peru "We are your friends in Peru" It was so nice. It's amazing how one little phrase can mean so much to someone.

Reaching out to someone in the smallest way might end up having the biggest impact. I think it was a very good lesson to see. It's easy to be under the impression that mission work invovles something big elaborate tent revival or organized effort to deliver the Bible and spread the Gospel by preaching from the pulpit. I believe that sometimes this idea may hinder people's views of what the Gospel can look like. Sometimes it seems like we expect mission work and the spreading of the Gospel to appear like a Christian dog and pony show, with a magician that pulls tracts and Bibles out of a hat. However, the Gospel is not spread because of our human efforts and campaigns and sermons, etc. The Gospel is love, and sometimes God works through the smallest gestures that don't involve a pyrotechnic display of Christianity.

"Though it is the smallest of all your seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and perch in its branches." Matthew 13:32

No comments: