Thursday, December 13, 2007

I believe I should be receiving a Partridge in a Pear Tree soon.

Dear friends,
I am 12 days away from Christmas. On a similar note, I am giving my last test to my December students tomorrow, then they will be taking their final exams on Wednesday and that night I will be catching the bus to Lima in order to fly back home for Christmas. Busses are the most common forms of travel for Peruvians like myself and the trip to Lima from Trujillo will take about 9 hours. The night bus is by far the better way to travel, and depending on which bus company you take, it can be relatively comfortable. Especially if you take the Cama Cama.

The Cama Cama is a magical, mythical beast that transports people to and fro throughout all the land of Peru. Literally cama cama translates to "Bed Bed" and the reason for this is because the seats actually will recline 180 degrees making your seat into your own bed bed. Interesante, no? I think so, and what's more, everytime you talk about the Cama Cama, you can begin to sing Boy George and Culture Club's "Karma Chameleon."

I have many thoughts about going home...first of all, I am very much at peace that I can soon see my family again. You may think that the opposite is true, but I am actually very much a homebody; despite the fact that I went to a university 25 hours away from my house and now with me living on a different continent. I've always felt like my home is in Colorado, and though God has and probably will continue to lead me to other residences, I'm thankful that God gave me strong roots as well. I'm also excited to take some time to reflect upon these last 5 months I've spent in Peru. I have grown in many different and completely unexpected ways. Too many to recount at this moment, but I will be writing down alot of these scattered thoughts soon.

Probably on the Cama Cama. Thank Goodness for long bus rides. And seats that turn into beds. Amen.

3 comments:

Cornucopia of Love said...

Awesome. I feel fuzzier already.

Anonymous said...

You wouldn't receive a partridge in a pear tree until the 25th, because the 12 Days of Christmas refer to the 12 Days between Christmas and Epiphany (Jan. 6). No offense, I'm just sayin'...

Gillian said...

Dangit Marcus! You just ruined Christmas.