Sunday, July 20, 2008

How I spent my one year anniversary in Peru...

What does one do on her one year anniversary in Trujillo?

First, I began my first painting and drawing class at Bellas Artes, the art institute in Trujillo. I've been missing art a lot lately, and my roommate and I decided to dust off the old 2B pencils and take a class. I've never had a formal painting class before and It's been awhile since I've had a drawing class so I am very content with this new addition to my life schedule.

After art class, we headed out to Arevolo where we consumed an obscene amount of Lomo Saltado with the pastor's family. Noemi (my old Spanish teacher) is the pastor's wife and the world's best lomo saltado maker. It's a fact. You can look it up. Afterwards my belly was full with lomo and satisfaction.

Upon returning to my house after lunch, I was just in time for a 30 minute nap before I headed to Por Venir for the weekly music ministry that I'm a part of. Ronald (the violin teacher and founder of the program) picked me up and we headed out to the neighborhood to teach the kids. Today we would work on Go tell Aunt Rhody, O Come Little Children, and the unatainable concept of bow direction and changing the bow at the right time. I struggled with that concept for years I'm sure. My girls did great though and will get it in no time I'm sure. Because they are awesome, and awesome kids can do things like that.
After a few hours of music ministry, Ronald and his wife Tatiana took me out to coffee to celebrate my first year. However we did not go to just any coffee shop. No my friends, we went to the opening of the very first starbucks in Trujillo. Ever.

Granted, Starbucks is not the end all be all of coffee shops. I agree, their coffee is strong, sometimes bitter, and overpriced oftentimes. However, what you don't understand is that coffeeshops are not a part of Peruvian culture, and there really is not any place that has really amazing coffee plus a good relaxing atmosphere, So picture yourself living without any form of coffeeshops for one full year (especially if you're the type of person who frequents coffeeshops in the US as much as I did i.e. practically everyday) and then picture the glorious opening of exactly what you have lived without for one year. You would be excited too. I promise.

By the way Starbucks openings in Peru are so much better than starbucks openings in the States. They gave us free sandwiches, free wine, and any kind of starbucks drink you want, for free. I was so content. there is nothing like sipping a free iced hazelnut latte while holding a free glass of wine in the other hand.
I can't think of a better anniversary gift than a starbucks. Thanks Peru, I love you too.

3 comments:

~marie said...

i can NOT believe YOU now have a starbucks and we STILL don't...i'm happy for you, bitter...but happy ;)

Anonymous said...

Typical Christian idiot who preys upon poor people to force them to convert to a religion of bigotry, sexism, racism, homophobia and intolerance so that they can receive "gifts" of food and musical instruments.

Apparently you haven't read the bible like most Christians. Have you forgotten that the bible says that drinking is bad? that women should not preach? that dancing and music are sins? Oh I forgot.. you don't BELIEVE in those parts.. you only believe in those parts that support your twisted bigoted selfish materialistic way of life.

Grow Up... do you get off on thinking you are better than other people (so called sinners and non-Christians, etc)?

Gillian said...

Dear Anonymous,
It seems to me that you have had a few run-ins with christians who do believe that they are better than other people "sinners and non-christians, etc." or at least act like they believe it. I understand that there are many Christians out there who hold themselves in higher view than they ought to. I'm sure that I have not lived a perfectly humble life either; nor have I ever come close to NOT sinning. I apologize if your view of the Gospel has been skewed by the very witnesses that are supposed to represent Christ. I hope that you have not been given the impression that Christians are somehow supposed to be less sinful, or more perfect, for this is not the heart of the Gospel. The power of the Gospel lies in the fact that we all have fallen short, but because God loved us, he took our shortcomings and redeemed us and forgave us in order to show his love and his power.
If you are looking for perfection, don't look to us Christians, you won't find it, look to the author and creator of perfection Himself. I pray that you will see His grace and not be satisfied with anything less.

Gillian