Monday, July 30, 2007

What's a girl to do?

Sometimes, it's incredibly easy for me to start off my new posts. Sometimes I have a really hilarious story that I want to share and it's easy to let the words pour out. Sometimes my heart has been set on one thought that I feel I need to write down soon, lest it gets lost amidst the rest of my life, but other days, such as this one, I find it difficult to begin writing, and I know exactly why.

My eyes have seen so many things in just this short week or so that I have been here. From the moment I wake up until the moment I go to bed on my 7 inch thick mattress, I am filled with new sights, new sounds, and new smells (sometimes pleasant, most times not so much); and with so many new things around me, my brain is in overdrive trying to absorb and process everything. Which for me, is interesting. I'm what you might call a quiet observer. Ok, quickly make your joke about how there's nothing quiet about me and we'll move on. Now, what I mean by being a "quiet observer" is that when I experience new things, I like to take them in immediately, and process later. I don't like to sound my judgement right away. However, I think what has been happening lately is that all I have been doing is absorbing things, without having any time to process them. Sort of like if you have a garage that you keep shoving stuff into to store it for later, but never organize it. What do you have? Just a big mess of stuff, right? Right.

So my thoughts remain scattered today. I have a sketchbook that I've been using to write down feelings, record emotions and thoughts, and ironically enough, to sketch. Sometimes though, I feel like that's not even enough to keep up. I want to remember every feeling and reaction during my time here! Is that so much to ask? Oh probably. I suppose that until I find a more efficient outlet, I will have to resort to blogspots and sketchbooks.


P.s. Please feel free to check out my online Peru photo album which I'm sure will become very full over the next year. For now, it's still a manageable amount of pictures to view. www.flickr.com/peruviangillian

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Gillian. I really loved this post. What you expressed describes perfectly how I felt on my first international mission trip. There are a million sights, sounds, feelings etc. that you want to absorb and hold onto ... yet you never seem to get a moment to just "stand still" and process. LOL sometimes I even felt a sort of inner dizzy feeling from everything spinning around in my mind. Anywho, I really hope that you will have some quiet moments to process everything you absorb. I send you lots of love and blessings!! Adios.

Julie said...

Gillian it sounds like you are having such a great start at your newfound peruvian life! oh how i miss thee! and i admit my insane jealousy.
and its true...

i love you.

;-)

Anonymous said...

Gils: Its like being in the military and going to a new base. It Takes a little tme to find your bearing and the ins and outs. Pretty soon it'll become routine once you get used to the rythms.

Unknown said...

gillian,

i don't know if you still read your comments, but i found this post while googling "ovolo papal trujillo." then i noticed that you wrote it on my birthday and the exact day i katie and i met. just thought i'd let you know; seemed like a funny coincidence. hope you're doing well. come visit.

joshua