Saturday, July 21, 2007

Where the parties don't stop till 8 in the mornin...

So what's a normal day like in Trujillo?

I don't know I've only been here one day. But I see myself settling in quickly. I've met alot of the interns that were here for the summer, but was told not to get too attached since most of them are leaving in a week. A new group, my group, will be coming in next week, but I got a little head start. But anyway, I'm currently sitting in my apartment, very glad to have some free wifi (gracias to Telefonica) and being soothed by the smooth sounds of a Peruvian guns n' roses cover band from the party going on next door. You've never heard Sweet Child o' Mine until you've heard it Peruvian karaoke style. The smell of gasoline from the taxis in the street occasionally wafts up to the second story. The street sounds and the horns definitely make it up here. But as the party continues, it eventually just becomes a part of the atmosphere around me, and the Peruvian rappers that are now performing no longer stand out as much, because I realize, I'm here- in Trujillo, my home for the next year, and this is my environment.

It's strange living in the middle of your life. Of course John Lennon once said, Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans, but in my case, I planned, and anticipated, and planned some more about actually moving here to Trujillo, so much so that when I actually got here, it was in fact very surreal. I knew from the get go that the experiences that I would have in Peru were going to be amazing and become integral parts of my life, but I'm sort of in the process of making these memories, and that's what I mean by it being strange to live in the middle of my life. Which probably makes no sense at all, but it does to me...I think, and I'm ok with that.

Oh hang on, the Peruvian cover of Guns n' Roses Paradise City just started, and I really can't miss this.

Buenos Noches!

No comments: