Thursday, November 22, 2007

It's the Great Thanksgiving, Charlie Brown!

Well, my first Thanksgiving away from home has come and gone. It was odd. Good, but odd.
My "First-Thanksgiving-on-a-different-continent" activities were multifarious.

The Peru Mission team is a close team and we spend a lot of time together, so our team is like a family (to me anyway). One big happy family of about 50 Gringos, so what else would we do but spend Thanksgiving together? It was nice and in order to follow suit with the obligatory US custom of telling everyone what we're thankful for: I'm thankful for family. The genetical kind as well as the emblematic kind.

Our Thanksgiving Feast was just that- a feast. No, no, no. A Smörgåsbord.
Seriously. Just like the one that Templeton the Rat sings about in Charlotte's Web. I'm so stuffed, but it was good.

Afterwards, I returned home to finish up some final grading for my November classes. Later, I ended up back at the Bradfords house to hang out with one of my favorite missionary families where we chatted, had some quality time with a puzzle, ate one more slice of pumpkin pie and the Bradfords let me use their vonage phone to call the old familia. I had the traditional game of Pass the Phone to every member of the family to catch up for a few minutes and discuss important issues such as "What did you eat today?" and "How is school going?" It was wonderful- I really love getting to talk with my family for at least a little bit. They are my world and for that, I really am thankful (not just in the cheesy "I have to say I'm thankful for something because it's Thanksgiving so I might as well say 'Family' way").

And theeeen, Caleb and Amanda, two friends/housies and I decided to go to the local Cine Planet theater to see whatever movie was our best option to see. We chose Beowulf (this was our best option from the 5 they were showing, mind you) and bought our tickets for the 11:00 showing. We immediately regretted the decision. Especially once we learned that the movie was made with CGI (think Pixar's Toy Story style).

At midnight, I no longer had to be thankful, and we left the movie halfway through.

2 comments:

calebsutton said...

That was one weird movie alright. Die Hard 4, Beowulf...I sure know how to pick 'em.

Gillian said...

Yeah...ummm, about that Caleb. You're officially relieved of movie picking duties.